Sunday, October 24, 2010

Holiday Snaps, Snowdonia

The Snowdonia National Park in North Wales is one of my very favourite places in the whole world. I love the mountain scenery and this time on our vacation in the UK were were lucky enough to return there. We based ourselves in the Royal Victoria Hotel in Llanberis in a room with a view of Llanberis lake from one window and the mountains from another.
One morning I awoke and threw the back the curtains to see a pool of light moving slowly across the mountain side. I quickly grabbed my camera and instead of a horizontal or vertical pan I moved the camera along the angle of the slope. I think the effect is quite effective.
Most of the time we were there the weather was gorgeous. But these are mountains and the weather can change very quickly. One afternoon, while driving down the Aberglaslyn pass, I was amazed to see banks of cloud appear over the tops of the mountains and chop the tops off. A perfct opportunity for some blurs I thought. So we stopped at a convenient scenic viewpoint and I clicked away, sweeping my camera across the magnificent vista as I did so. This must have been much to the chagrin of the photographer with his camera mounted on a tripod fiddling with all manner of filters and inspecting the histogram on his camera trying to take a photograph down the valley.
This last shot is my particular favourite from our sojourn in North Wales. See how the clouds, mountains and the highlights and shadows have worked together to create some kind of reflection of each other. Super.

No comments:

Post a Comment