Friday, July 16, 2010

How did I get here?

I discovered "Landscape blurs" or blur-o-graphy as I like to call it quite by accident. I was out early one morning to take a picture for my picture a day project, attracted by the dew laden grass in my front yard.
I scouted around, looking for a good angle and once I found a view I liked I pressed the shutter release, not remembering that I had the 2 second delay still on from the previous night. So the picture didn't take when I expected it to and when the shutter did release the camera was moving.
"Curses!" I thought to myself and switched on the LCD to delete the image. But hang on a moment, there was something rather pleasing about this picture. It wasn't about the details in the shot it was about the light and shadow and how it affected the colours. It reminded me of the impressionist paintings I used to love to look at in Art College.
I thought I was onto something, something new and exciting. I posted the picture in my blog at the micro four thirds site, mu-43.com and was introduced to the works of Alain Briot. Very neat. Further research has revealed other practitioners of the technique such as William Neil and others whose web presences I will place in the links section.
So I'm not the only one practicing the technique. In fact I'm very much the beginner. But I'm very excited by the whole concept and have been photographing blurs quite a lot since this first shot. Excited enough to want to blog about the pictures I take and discuss what I learn from taking them.

No comments:

Post a Comment