Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lessons in lighting

A weekend jaunt up to the cabin always presents me with new photo opportunities and fires up my creative juices. So here's a few from Saturday. The first two are of some birch tree trunks in the front yard. Exactly the same trees. Its just that for some unknown reason I managed to underexpose the first shot by a stop and a half and by the time I'd pulled that stop and a half back with CameraRaw the tree trunks took on a different hue. I like them both.

These birch grove shots were an exercise in patience. I saw the grove in the light of the setting sun and knew I had to get a picture. But by the time I had my camera ready. The sun had gone behind a cloud. I had to wait some 15 minutes for the sun to return, meanwhile mosquitoes feasted on me... In the first shot the sun was just starting to appear from behind the clouds in the second was a fleeting moment of full sunlight. Just as quickly it was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment